When you get the base van for your new van conversion, it will more than likely come as a panel van, all panels and no rear windows. Unless you are going for a full stealth look, you will need to consider Van Conversion Windows and plan for your van window installation.
Custom van windows or aftermarket cargo van windows are available to let light in and help with ventilation in your new campervan conversion.
In this post we will go over some different brand options for Van Conversion Windows and have a quick look at van window installation.
Van Conversion Windows
Why Install Van Conversion Windows
There are many reasons for going ahead with your van window installation. The first and most important reason to install custom van windows is ventilation. Having windows that open is the easiest way to get some refreshing airflow through your van. Check out this post for more info on Campervan Ventilation.
The second and almost just as important reason for van conversion windows is to open up the space with a glorious view of wherever you happen to be staying.
Lets not forget light, installing aftermarket cargo van windows will “let there be light” in your new conversion van.
Aftermarket Cargo Van Windows – Popular Brands
Dometic van windows are offered in a top-hung hinged model with either aluminum or polyurethane frame. With double acrylic glazing, Dometic van windows have the best available insulation properties. These windows are harder to find in North America, although if you contact your local Dometic dealer they will no doubt be able to get them in for you.
CR Laurence seem to be one of the most popular choices when it comes to Van Conversion Windows. They offer many different window options for all of the big name van manufacturers, old and current models. CRL Van Windows come in vented and fixed OEM all glass look designed to match the look of the factory glass windows. CR Laurence Van Windows also offer a variety of Universal fit windows.
Offering windows for just about all automotive and marine applications, Motion Windows could have the aftermarket cargo van windows, to suit your needs. For van conversions, they have Half-Slider and T-Slider windows for rear door side doors and side panels. While these windows don’t look as clean as the OEM design windows from CR Laurence (IMHO), their custom van windows are definitely worth considering for your van window installation.
Another manufacturer offering van conversion windows with factory glass look aftermarket cargo van windows is AMA Van Windows. AMA have super clean looking half slider and solid glass windows perfect for your new van window installation. If I we didn’t use the CR Laurence T-Vent, our next choice would be the AMA Half Slider.
Choosing The Right Van Conversion Windows
Some other things to consider when choosing window for your van.
- Don’t forget check there are no structural pillars where you are planning your window location.
- A van with a view, do you need your window for ventilation, better the view from inside your van or both. Small slider window, large fixed glass window or full panel T-Vent windows are options for these situations.
- If you go with a universal fit window, Take into account the curves and contours of the vans panels. Non-Contoured van windows will not fit in many vans.
- Bonded vs Non-Bonded
- Bonded windows will give you a better seal but the steps for installing bonded windows are a little more in depth. DIYers may want to go with a gasket sealed window for ease of installation.
- You are going to want to keep all those friendly local bugs out of you van. So getting custom van windows with insect screens is highly recommended.
- Will you drive with the window open? Will you want the window open in the rain? There are many different openings available to suit your needs. T-Vent, Slider, Half Slider, Side-Hinge and Top-Hinge are all possible options. Check the manufacturer’s specs to see if they work for you.
- Good for keeping out solar rays as well a little daytime privacy. Having tint on your campervan windows is a benefit and highly recommended.
Installing Van Conversion Windows
Check back soon for our detailed Van Window Installation Post for more information on Installing Van Conversion Windows.
Van conversion windows are a vital part of a complete Campervan Ventilation System. If you need some help selecting a Roof Vent Fan check out my recommended fans. Or , you can see an initial review of The Fan We Am Using In Our Build.
If you are interested, check out some more #Vanlife related content Here.
And remember, always take the road less traveled!